The site was known as Water Corn Mill Yard in the 17th and 18th centuries. The mill was then twice as high and twice as wide as the ruin is today. The wheel was probably where the steps are. The mill was fed by a mill race and a canal from a holding pond and controlled by a small weir at the top of the garden, directing water down stream or towards the mill. In 1890 the ruined mill was converted to include a small pond and waterfalls. The house was then named Cascades.
The original mill owner bought the house next door in 1750. It was known as Nether Green House. Cascades was built adjacent in 1823 for Francis Clay, the mill owner’s son, in a spacious Georgian style.